Cinnamon Doughnut Balls © 1974
Salad oil or shortening for deep-frying
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
3 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup salad oil
3/4 cup milk
2 cups grated orange peel
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1. In an electric skillet or deep-fryer, slowly heat oil (at least 2 inches deep) to 375F on a deep-frying thermometer.
2. Into medium bowl. sift flour with 1/4 cup sugar, the baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
3. Add 1/4 cup salad oil, the milk, egg, orange peel, and walnuts; beat with fork until well blended.
4. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot fat. Fry, turning once, until golden-brown — about 2 minutes.
5. With slotted spoon, lift doughnut balls from hot fat; drain well on paper towels.
6. Roll in sugar, to coat evenly. Serve warm or cold. Makes about 3 dozen
McCall's Do Ahead Party Book