Very Special Bread Pudding © 1974
10 slices white bread
1/2 cup soft butter or margarine
1/2 cup seedless raisins
2 teaspoons cinnamon
4 cups milk
2/3 cups sugar
4 eggs, well beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter a 2-quart casserole or baking dish.
2. Trim crusts from bread; spread with butter. Using a knife, cut each slice into 4 squares.
3. Arrange half of squares in bottom of prepared casserole. Sprinkle with raisins and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
4. Cover with rest of bread and cinnamon.
5. In medium saucepan, over medium heat, heat milk just until film forms over top. Remove from heat; add sugar, stirring until dissolved.
6. Gradually add hot milk mixture to beaten eggs, beating constantly. Stir in vanilla; pour over bread.
7. Set casserole in pan containing 1 inch hot water; bake 40 to 50 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm. Makes 8 servings.
McCall's Casserole Cookbook