Monday, October 17, 2005

Honey Boys (Salmon Croquettes)

I went home this weekend and my mom made one of my all-time favorite things: Honey Boys and fresh fried okra (see photos). Yum!

We've always just called them Honey Boys (a name my Aunt Joetta came up with) because we always use Honey Boy brand canned salmon when making them. I thought I'd share the recipe with you (It's normally on the side of the can as well).

1 can (14 3/4) Honey Boy Pink Salmon
2 cups soft bread crumbs (I use crackers)
1/3 cup finely minced onion
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs
2 tablespoons minced parsley (I don't use it)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon each salt and dill weed (I don't use it)
Dash pepper

Drain salmon, reserving 2 tablespoons liquid; flake. Combine all ingredients. Shape into 8 1-inch thick patties. Pan-fry on both sides in 2 tablespoons oil or butter until golden brown.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Terri-
Your mother sounds like a woman after my own heart. Anyone who knows the deliciousness of a salmon croquette is okay in my book! ;) You're welcome!

10:16 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Caroline-
You are more than welcome! I'm so glad someone else loves them as much as I do. I think part of the reason my mom called them Honey Boys is because [A] Being a little kid, I didn't know what the hell a "croquette" was and [B] I don't think I would have been as willing to try one if the word 'salmon' had been associated with it (kids and their finickiness!). I'm glad I did though, because they are one of my favorite things to eat!

Aw, I'm so glad you're enjoying the site! I enjoy maintaining it. I've received so many nice e-mails/comments from people who found a long-lost recipe on this site, discovered an old favorite and/or just had success with a particular recipe. And it's funny you should mention the character cakes, 'cause I just received a nice e-mail from a woman who's 4-year old daughter insisted on a giraffe-shaped cake for her 5th birthday and I just happened to have one on my blog! LOL! How great is that!?

Thanks for taking the time to comment, and thank you for the kind words! :)

2:23 AM  

<< Home