Foremost Buttermilk Devil's Food Cake
- Sift before measuring: 2 3/4 cups brown sugar
- Beat until soft: 1/2 cup butter
- Add the sugar gradually, blending these ingredients until they are very creamy.
- Beat in, 1 at a time: 2 eggs
- Add: 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Sift before measuring: 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- Resift with: 1 teaspoon soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt
Add sifted ingredients to the butter mixture alternately in 3 parts with thirds of: 1 cup Foremost buttermilk
After each addition, beat the batter smooth. Dissolve: 1/2 cup cocoa in: 1/2 cup boiling water
Beat this into the batter. Bake the cake in two greased 9 inch layer pans in a moderate oven (375º F.) for about 25 minutes. Spread the layers with: Chocolate Icing or Peppermint Icing*.
*Crush a handful of peppermint candy or a few drops of peppermint extract to vanilla or cream cheese frosting and mix thoroughly.