Thursday, October 27, 2005

Veggie (Optional) Pizza Cupcakes © 2005

I apologize for yet another "not retro" recipe, but far be it for me to deprive my readers of a great recipe. I recently made these from a recipe in a cook booklet sent to me in the mail by my local Kroger grocery store, and they are great! Especially if you're having a get-together for Halloween!

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
1 can (12 oz.) refrigerated biscuits (10 biscuits)
1 tsp. olive oil
1 1/2 cups assorted diced fresh vegetables (bell pepper, onion, zucchini, mushrooms, etc.)
1 1/2 cups Ragu Organic Traditional Pasta Sauce*
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (about 2 oz.)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Unroll biscuits and press each into a 3-inch round. In 12-cup muffin pan, evenly press each biscuit in bottom and up sides of each cup; chill until ready to fill.
2. In 10-inch skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and cook vegetables, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in Pasta Sauce and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer 2 minutes or until slightly reduced.
3. Evenly spoon vegetables mixture into prepared muffin cups. Bake 15 minutes. Sprinkle tops with cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and biscuits are golden. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Gently remove pizza cups from muffin pan and serve. Makes 10 pizza cups

*Comments: Personally, I think zucchini on a pizza sounds awful. If you're not into meatless dishes, you can easily toss in a handful of browned sausage or hamburger meat, even pepperoni.

I'm not a fan of Ragu Pasta Sauce. I find it too acidic, while I find Huntz and most store brands too salty. I prefer Prego or any of the Del Monte flavors, particularly Del Monte's Green Pepper and Mushroom. Delicious!

I made these with 3 kinds of bell pepper, onion and grilled chicken. Oh-so-good, and super-easy/fast to make!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home