Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Bacon Upside-Down Corn Bread © 1981

1 1/2 C. cornmeal
1 C. flour
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 C. buttermilk
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 C. cooking oil or butter, melted
6 to 8 slices bacon

Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in mixing bowl. Combine soda and buttermilk and add to dry ingredients. Add eggs and oil or butter. Stir until mixture is thoroughly moistened.

Fry bacon until cooked partially (still limp). Drain on paper towels. Line bottom of a greased 9-inch square pan with waxed paper. Arrange bacon on waxed paper and pour batter into pan. Bake 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool a few minutes. Turn bread out upside down on board. Remove waxed paper. Cut into squares and serve warm. Served 8 to 10.

I remember picking up this great little cook booklet free at our local Hallmark store in the early 80's. Though I made several of the recipes contained in this booklet, the Bacon Upside-Down Corn Bread is my favorite! Such a simple recipe idea, I couldn't believe it wasn't more well-known. Yu-uM!

Jim Henson's Muppet Picnic Cookbook

4 Comments:

Blogger M said...

I think you'll like this artist:

http://www.sbritt.com/inside.html

3:15 PM  
Blogger Ana said...

I'll try this one. You cannot go wrong with bacon and cornmeal.

4:25 AM  
Blogger Kelvin said...

Poor Ms Piggy - had to cook her own bacon !!!

9:24 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Mariana-
OMG, I love their work! You know I have to link to them now over at my other blog!! Thanks so much for the heads up! GREAT stuff!

Ana-
Try it, you'll like it! And you're right, it's pretty hard to go wrong with ANYTHING that involves bacon (Mmmmm...crispity....crunchity bacon...wha? where am I? I blacked out for a minute.)

Kelvin-
It's alright. Miss Piggy had just had lipo, so it's not as dreary as it sounds. She's makin' bacon! Literally!

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home