Monday, May 22, 2006

Pork Cake

I have an old cookbook that unfortunately does not have a print date on it. Personally, judging from all the various ads inside, I'd guesstimate it to be printed around the late 40's early 50's. It's a collection of recipes by the Dorcas Circle, Women's Society of Christian Service of the Trinity Methodist Church of Highland Park, Michigan. The next two weeks will be devoted to various recipes I found interesting.

1/4 lb. fat salt pork
1/2 c boiling water
2 c sifted flour
1/3 t baking soda
1/4 t each salt, cloves, allspice
1/2 c sugar
1 egg
1/2 c molasses
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1/4 lb. raisins
1/2 c currants
2 oz. citron peel and orange peel

Grind salt pork fine and pour boiling water over it. Let stand 15 minutes. Mix and sift dry ingredients. Mix with fruit. Combine egg, sugar and molasses. Add to pork and water. Gradually stir in flour and fruit mixture. Bake in deep loaf tin 1 1/2 hours in slow oven.

What's Cooking at Trinity: A Guide to Good Taste

3 Comments:

Blogger Askazombiehousewife said...

That sounds a little frightening but I am sure it tastes umm, lovely.
How can anything with pork, molasses and allspice be all bad?

5:41 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

have to disagree with iportion. i think that sounds awful! these are the recipes you were warning me about, aren't they?

10:32 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

iportion-
A little? LOL! It sounds lot frightening to me. I didn't even know it was possible to make a cake with meat as one of the key ingredients. Ack! When I see bizarro recipes like this, I can't help but wonder if they were born out of necessity, boredom, family history or what!

I think the closest I've ever gotten to pork being combined with anything sweet is when I made sausage balls with Maple Sausage. It was good, but I dunno if I could deal with diggin' my fork into a big ol' slice of pork cake and a glass of milk. LOL!

Thanks for commenting :)

Sara-
Yes, these are are the recipes I was warning you about. LOL! I think these rank right up there (for me anyway) with the recipe I saw once for an asparagus sandwich. BLECH!

Never fear, though. There's something considerably lighter coming up on Friday and next week.

Thanks for commenting :)

6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home