Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Ranch Casserole © 1965

1 pound round steak
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup flour
4 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 can beef bouillon
1 15 ounce can of Ranch Style Beans
1 1/4 cups packaged pre-cooked rice
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium green pepper, diced
1 cup water



Combine flour, salt, and pepper. Cut round steak in 1/2 inch cubes and roll in seasoned flour. Melt butter in skillet, add meat, and sautee until brown. Add bouillon; cover and simmer until meat is nearly tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in beans and other ingredients, pour in 2 quart casserole, cover and bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) about 40 minutes. Serves four to six.

Ranch Style Beans: Thrifty Fifty Recipes

2 Comments:

Blogger Anita said...

Oh, that brings back memories of Texas! I don't think we can even buy Ranch Style beans here (in California). Dang, I used to love me some Ranch Style beans. They were the only kind of beans I would eat!

9:33 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Terri-
Ranch Style Beans are pinto beans. HOWEVER, Ranch Style Beans also manufactures other varieties: Black beans, Kidney beans, as well as various varieties of the Pinto bean: With chopped, sweet onion, sliced jalapenos, jalapeno flavor, traditional, Genuine Texas, Extra Special Hot and No Fear Fat Free refried beans.

Personally, I was never a big bean fan, but I remember seeing plenty of them in the pantry at both my house and my grandparent's house.

Anita-
Heh, that's great! There's actually a Ranch Style Beans plant in nearby Fort Worth. I remember driving by it whenever I would have to go to Fort Worth for doctor appointments. Always loved their logo of the man licking his lips. It's nice to see that some logos don't change.

I'm sorry they don't carry them where you live. Maybe you can order some online and revive some memories!

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it! :)

1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home