Friday, December 16, 2005

Party Mix © 1955

1/2 cup Wesson Oil
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic salt or powder
2 cups shredded wheat, bite-size
2 cups shredded rice, bite-size
1 1/2 cups pretzel sticks
1/2 cup pecan or walnut halves

Heat oven to 300º (slow). Measure Wesson Oil into cup. Add Worcestershire sauce, salt and garlic salt and beat with fork. Put cereals, pretzel sticks and nuts into 13 x 9 1/2 x 2-inch shallow baking pan. Continue beating oil mixture as it is poured over cereal mixture. Stir gently to coat all pieces. Bake 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Spread over absorbent paper to cool. 6 cups.

Quicker Ways to Better Eating: The Wesson Oil Cook Book

1 Comments:

Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Terri-
No, I can't say that I've ever tried this particular recipe. We always used the one from the side of the Chex cereal box. I think the oil probably keeps the mixture from scorching in the oven and makes it crisp. The original Chex Party Mix recipe calls for butter instead of oil. Either way, I don't think it would make it soggy, esp. if you keep stirring it every 2 minutes.

And speaking of Party Mix, you know what my favorite part was, but it's the one ingredient that seems to have slowly disappeared over the years: sesame sticks. I still put it in my recipe. :)

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home