Fresh Cranberry Upside-Down Cake © 1953
Today I couldn't resist showing you both the front and the back of one of my favorite little cookbooks, not to mention one of the best (and easiest) recipes for a quick cranberry cake!
3 cups (about 3/4 pound) washed fresh cranberries
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 tablespoons orange juice
1 package white- or yellow-cake mix
1. Grease 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
2. Combine cranberries, sugar, and orange juice in medium-size saucepan; cook gently 7 minutes, or until skins pop open; remove from heat; leave in pan.
3. Mix batter according to directions on package of mix.
4. Reheat cranberries just to boiling; pour into prepared baking dish.
5. Spoon cake batter carefully over cranberries.
6. Bake in moderate oven (350ÂºF) 50minutess, or until center springs back when lightly pressed with fingertip.
7. Cool cake in baking dish on wire rack 30 minutes; loosen around edges; invert on cake plate. Serve with Orange Whipped Cream. Makes 1 cake about 8 inches in diameter
Orange Whipped-Cream Frosting
1/4 cup sugar
Dash of salt
1 cup of cream for whipping
Grated rind of one orange
1. Combine sugar and salt in medium-size bowl; blend in cream and orange rind; cover; chill about one hour.
2. Whip sugar-cream mixture until stiff enough to spread.
The Family Circle Cake & Cooky Cookbook