Friday, April 07, 2006

Spangler's Orange Circus Peanut Gelatin

I'm in the process of organizing a lot of my recipe clippings into a cool little retro recipe binder I found recently, called Kitchen Clips, and came across this recipe I snipped from the back of a package of Spangler Circus Peanuts (the best brand when it comes to Circus Peanuts. Always soft. None of that stale, hard stuff like some of the other brands).

7 ounces (about 30) of Spangler Circus Peanuts
1 6oz. package of orange flavored gelatin
1 16oz. can of Mandarin oranges, drained*
2 cups of boiling water
1 3/4 cups of Mandarin orange syrup and cold water
2 cups of whipped topping
*You may substitute 16oz. of canned crushed pineapple, drained

Cut the Spangler Circus Peanuts into small pieces. Dissolve the orange gelatin in the boiling water. Add the pieces of Spangler Circus Peanuts, stirring until dissolved. Drain the syrup from the Mandarin oranges, adding enough cold water to equal 1 3/4 cups liquid. Add to gelatin; chill until partially set. Stir together the Mandarin oranges and whipped topping; fold into the gelatin mixture. Pour mixture into a 13 x 9 inch pan. Chill until firm. Yields approximately 18 - 3 oz servings

4 Comments:

Blogger Maven said...

I haven't had a circus peanut in I don't know how long. They always reminded me of bananas, I guess in flavor.

I wonder how they would hold up if they were toasted like a marshmallow for some s'mores??

8:25 PM  
Blogger Askazombiehousewife said...

I used to love the stale ones as kid. I don't think I've ever had a fresh one.

VH Melville

10:32 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Terri-
You know it! Though I couldn't really think of a recipe in which to use them, this one doesn't seem like it would be bad. Something different for the potluck!

Nuggetmaven-
True, they do kind of remind me of bananas too. The best ones are the ones that come out around Easter time and are different colors/flavors. Soooo good!

I never though of using them for s'mores. I guess because I never really thought of them as marshmallows (though the package claims otherwise). I dunno. I think it might be too rich for my blood. I may go into a sugar coma. LOL!

iportion-
Oh boy. I can't tell you how often I have "squeezed the Charmin" so to speak, when it comes to finding a fresh bag of Circus Peanuts. If you ever get a chance, try them fresh, it's a whole 'nother experience! Sooo good!

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)

7:19 AM  
Blogger Askazombiehousewife said...

Maybe one day I will find fresh circus peanuts. Maybe circus peanuts and a half cup sugar free fat free pudding.
Smore circus peanuts mmm maybe
:-)

VH Melville

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home